Tuesday, July 16, 2019

San Francisco, Hawaii, and Guam exhibit seasonal modes on Tide vs Time of Day graphs

I started to make these graphs because I want to understand the nature of the seasonality of the lowest and highest tides. One of my professors, Roy Tsuda opened my eyes to certain aspects of tidal zonation, and, somehow, to the idea that there is some kind of seasonality to tides.  MY interest in the Tidepool, in all of the Intertidal have biased my point of view toward the times of lowest LLW during different months of the year.  However, as the graph of Kawaihae, Hawaii shows, some sites show more variation in HHW (Higher High Water) through the year.

These graphs take a certain amount of manual data manipulation to generate times of day from the times of the tide predictions. I will be making more of them.  In his book Sea Level Science, David Pugh discusses various varieties and aspects of tides.  Especially, Albert Defant's Physical Oceanography, Volume II gives detailed discussions.  One of these, or perhaps others, certainly will have information about the astronomical and oceanographic factors behind the differences in these profiles. 


Looking at these, I know there is more to learn about this.  I'm willing to have posters printed, if anyone is interested.   One possibility would be a large poster with several such graphs.   I've tried to use colorblind-friendly colors, but this is a work in progress.   For one thing, gri does not have the same color palette support as R.  And for another, there are a number of varieties of color blindness, each of them just as different from the next, as from my own "Normal" color vision.   What would these look like to a stomatopod (with 10 cone types, I think)?

San Francisco

 
Kawaihae, Hawaii Island

 

Apra Harbor, Guam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Timezones are impossible

This video was linked on the Emacs Org-mode mailing list.  The discussion was about an desire to incorporate timezones into some particular ...